Physics and Social Philosophy
This page was one of the first pages on the World Wide Web.
It was launched in November 1995.
Follow the links to:
- Electronic Travel Aids for the Blind and Vision Impaired, featuring the Sonic Pathfinder.
- Daughter Sarah Heyes the Senior GP at The Shrubberies Medical Centre, South Woodford, London, England.
- Son in Law Simon Jackson an Orthodontist in Epping England.
- Daughter Rebecca after completing a PhD in Molecular Biology and a BA in Law has had a life in crime; as a Forensic Scientist.
- Son in Law Harry Kogios runs XL Support in Melbourne.
- Son Simon Heyes an Industrial Designer and Project Manager with ESS Earth Sciences & ESS Weathertech; a group of advanced technology companies, specialising in solutions in environmental and allied fields such as meteorology, hydrology, seismology, oceanography, air quality, and geotechnical engineering.
- In late July 2016, youngest son, Ben suffered a stroke while on a business trip to Hong Kong. Ben is currently undergoing intensive rehabilitation with the aim of picking up where he left off...
Son Ben Heyes spent six years working in various technical and liaison roles in national security and foreign intelligence but has come in from the cold and at the time of his stroke was the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia.
Ben is also Chair of Crest Australia, The Council of Registered Ethical Security Testers and a member of the Board of Directors of The Conversation, a collaboration between editors and academics to provide informed news analysis and commentary that’s free to read and republish.
Just prior to his stroke Ben was invited to accept the 2016 Distinguished Alumni Award from the Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University.
- Daughter in Law, Gabrielle (Gabby) Heyes, hails from Maryland. She is a Lawyer qualified in both the USA and Australia. She works for ASIC , the Australian Securities and Investment Commission, keeping a very necessary watchful eye on Deposit Takers, Credit & Insurers.
- The Brain Teaser page.
- The Genealogy page - the Lancashire Heyeses and much more.
- The Maps Page: surname distribution maps for the UK.
- A famous relative - well, possibly: Thomas Heyes/Highs from Leigh in Lancashire, inventor of spinning machines, eg. the Spinning Jenny. (see Wiki)
- My tribute page to a much loved seaside spot on the Lancashire coast; Knott-End-on-Sea
Mostly the work of one of my oldest friends, Gordon Heald. It presents Gordon's superbe historical maps of the area. Also reproductions of paintings done in the area by the celbrated artist L S Lowry. Not to mention a page my me explaining why, under very special atmospheric conditions, one can occasionally see the Isle of Man from the Knott-End promenade in-spite of it being over the horizon.
- My father's page. In 1918 he flew with 55 Squadron along with W.E.Johns - the author of the Biggles books (see Wiki). Follow the link to Johns' vivid account of flying on bombing raids in open cockpit bi-planes during the First World War. Both men were shot down and taken prisoner!
- An early invention: a Tactile Display for installation at Pedestrian Crossings where the use of the usual audible signals could cause confusion to vision impaired people. The Tactile Display is currently made under License by several UK firms ( Radix Systems , Rustington Engineering , Microsense Systems Ltd ) and is widely use throughout the United Kingdom at traffic light controlled intersections and pedestrian crossings.
To see the Tactile in action click here.
- A recent invention: not all my projects are for the Vision Impaired. For example, I worked with a young fisherman/inventor, Steve Steer, to develop Tackle Tracka the world's first fishing rod computer.
- The big one that got away. A ' spin-off ' from my aid for the blind, I Invented and patented ReverseAid in 1983. It is an ultrasonic device which, when fitted to the back of cars or trucks, gives a warning to the driver when reversing, should there be an obstacle behind the vehicle. It was excellent for maneuvering into tight spaces. It was fitted to every car I owned for the next 18 years. That is, until I was forced to stop driving because of failing eyesight. Quite a number were sold - mainly to the oil companies - but I never really 'got it off the ground'. It was suggested that my enthusiasm for the device was because I was a one-eyed driver and could not judge distances. Today the situation is very different, many embodiments of the ReverseAid technology are now available (known generically as Parking Sensors) Not only does it seem to have become popular even with two-eyed drivers, I understand that from 2018 it is to be madatory on new cars in the USA - a mere 35 years after I invented it!
This BMW advertisement is rather good.
- I was privileged to find myself on a team at the Australian National University working on Insect vision applied to robotics. This work has been carried on in Queensland by Srini the latest development being an aircraft controled by a bee's eye.
- Seeing over the horizon! It is possible, sometimes. Visit my mirage page.
And what about the Moon Illusion?
- These days I write the odd web page for other people and organizations.
- Testament to a mis-spent youth.
In 1962 I was part of the four man team who climbed Blackpool Tower - up the outside!
Blackpool Tower was then the tallest building in the United Kingdom. The local newspaper got quite excited and reported, "University men in death defying stunt which tops the lot". In fact it was all done with great precision and using the correct climbing gear. The was one slight problem; it was mid winter and there was "11 degrees of frost" that night. Degrees, that is, on the old - Farenheight - scale. Approximately -5.2 ° C.
A transcript of the newspaper article can be found here.I am indebted to John Ganas, Team Leader, Document Examination at the Forensic Services Department of the Victorian Police Force in Melbourne for capturing my disintegrating newspaper cutting as a digital image.
- The Dangerous Delusions and Secular Ethics links page. Links to YouTube videos: Harris, Dawkins and more.
- Please feel free to contact me .
These web pages have been written by Tony Heyes
of Perceptual Alternatives using Arachnophilia.
They have been tested using the ubiquitous Internet Explorer
and also with my browser of choice Mozilla FireFox.